Hamtramck MTSS Framework
Our mission at Hamtramck Public Schools is to provide an outstanding education for all students. Since students are not ‘one size fits all’ learners, we implement a Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) in grades Kindergarten through 12th Grade to match the amount and type of instruction students need. MTSS is also known as RTI, or Response To Intervention. Below are the components of our MTSS/RTI process.
Tier 1: Classroom Teacher Instruction
The teacher uses a variety of instructional strategies and techniques to assist student learning on a day-to-day basis. This quality instruction is based on a research-based Readers and Writers Workshop model that you will see daily for all students.
- Whole Group Instruction- students will receive 90-120 minutes of literacy instruction depending on grade-level in what we call a Literacy Block.
- All students receive Tier 1 support.
Tier 2: Literacy Small Group Instruction (4-5 students)
- Small Group Instruction- students will receive a 20-30 minute block 1-3 times per week for additional instruction geared to their specific literacy needs.
- We determine Small Group student placement based on data from assessments such as teacher observation, formative and summative assessments, I-READY screeners and assessments, Fountas & Pinnell, etc. Groups vary based on student need from basic to advanced.
- Students receiving Tier 2 support work in 4-5 student group settings with a focus on comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and the expansion of vocabulary.
Tier 3: Intensive Support (1-2 students)
- Intensive support is made available for students who are at greater risk of not meeting standards or who are scoring at the bottom 20%-30%.
- Students receiving Tier 3 support work in one or two student settings with a focus on foundational literacy skills (phonemic awareness, phonics, decoding, etc).
MTSS/RTI is a national initiative. You can visit RTI Action Network to learn more about the MTSS/RTI initiative.