School and Community Facilitators
The HPS School and Community Facilitators are responsible for bridging the gap between our school district and the city of Hamtramck. We believe that HPS is the HEART of the city and we are passionate about providing our families with local resources and agencies.
Our services include:
- Coordinating events and maintaining partnerships with the community
- Refer students and their families to outside agencies to ensure needs are met
- Serves as a liaison between the school, family, and local agencies to support attendance policies set forth by the district, county, and state
- Visiting families and students in their homes as required for the purpose of assessing situations, improving communications, and providing information regarding school policies and programs
- We work closely with the ELD Dept, Special Services Dept, Pupil Services Dept, and all HPS schools to support all students and family members
- Assisting refugees and newcomers with their transition
- Run a fully stocked Clothing Closet filled with new and donated clothing, coats, etc for students and their families
- Serve the district as the Foster Care Liaison and the Homeless/McKinney-Vento Coordinator
Pick up days:
Tuesdays and Thursdays 2-4p
ICNA Muslim Family Services
12500 Mitchell St
Pick up days:
Tuesdays and Thursdays 10a-3p
Food pick up at:
Full Gospel Church of The Sons of God
12461 Conant - 313-368-7575
McKinney-Vento (MV) is the homeless education act. For a student to be considered homeless, they must LACK a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This can mean a student and/or their family who is living in a shelter, in foster care, "couch surfing", living with a family member or friend due to financial issues, etc.
Please fill out the Homeless Student Referral form if you believe you may qualify for McKinney-Vento Services. Feel free to contact HPS' McKinney-Vento Coordinator, Liz Alpert, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-598-9083.
In coordination with many generous donations, HPS has established a clothing closet for families in need, emergencies, and students that are not appropriately dressed for school. There are new and gently used clothing items available. There is a request form to be filled out so we can find your sizes to best fit your needs. All sizes are not guaranteed to be in stock. We do have shoes, coats/jackets, dress clothes, school clothes, and exercise clothes. We also have a limited supply of blankets, hygiene products, school supplies, backpacks, and infant/toddler clothing.